Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Tomato-bread salad


I have lots of delicious vegetables, and this is one of my favorite ways to eat them. The overall color is a bit pink, because of the beets, but it was a delicious salad. I recommend it. The quantities are all pretty relative, it just depends what you have on hand. I meant to put anchovies in it, but I forgot - I think that would make it taste even better.

Salad:
Makes enough to serve two as a side dish or one hungry person as a main dish

Chop everything roughly into cubes:

2 heirloom tomatoes
1 salad cucumber
1 red pepper or sunburst pepper
1/2 red onion
1 clove garlic
a whole bunch of cilantro, basil, or other fresh herbs
1 beet
1/2 avocado
two handfuls of croutons, preferably the homemade kind.

Dressing:
lemon juice
olive oil
salt

whisk to combine, taste, add whatever you think needs adding. I'd start with about half lemon juice and half olive oil, and go from there.

Croutons
Take a couple pieces of stale bread, or it doesn't have to be stale, that's just usually the way bread is when its not fresh out of the oven, cut into cubes, and toss with olive oil. Then bake for ~10 minutes in a 350F oven, until the croutons are crunchy on the outside.

Toss to combine, and eat immediately.

No comments: