Thursday, September 16, 2010

Zucchini with caramelized onions


Caramelized onions make everything taste better, including zucchini. Not that pan-fried zucchs are bad, just that they're better with onions. The only other flavor additives were olive oil, salt, and some dried thyme. Quite satisfying, in the end, but not exactly something I'd serve with the mind to be fancy. I'd come home for lunch, so I made a big pile of this, served on top of a heap of spaghetti squash (side note - I wasn't sure what type of squash it was, just that it was cute and yellow, so I figured I'd treat it like it was spaghetti squash and hope for the best, which ended up being a perfectly acceptable strategy). I also had a tomato-basil salad, which was so good it deserves its own post. All those veggies are filling, but I probably should have made something more, given how hungry I was by dinnertime.

Zucchini with caramelized onions

1 zucchini
1 onion
olive oil
salt to taste
other dried herbs, optional

Peel the onion, slice it in half length-wise, then cut it into half-moons. These'll make those nice stringy caramelized bits that taste so good. Heat some oil in a frying pan to medium - medium-low, and add the onions. Sprinkle on some kosher salt. These will cook for about 10 minutes before they start sticking, after 10 minutes they should be browning a bit around the edges and tasting sweet. You'll have to stir occasionally.

I cut the zucchs into half moons, you can slice or dice them any way you want. I tossed them into the frying pan after the onions had been going for 10 minutes, added some salt, and cooked for another 5-10 minutes. Some people like their zucchini very well done. I like it on the crunchy side.

Serve as is, or over some sort of starch.

No comments: