Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The perks of grad studenting: free food!

So, I was doing quite well with this concept of "budget" last week, until I went to buy stuff for Ed's birthday party, which was on Friday. But I don't think that should count for the overall food budget, because its not like you are throwing a party every week. Anyway, the damage from that was $19 at the grocery store for curry and cupcake ingredients and then $65 on cheese and beer, but that counts as a birthday present, not as food shopping. It was some darn good cheese and beer!

From last week, all the veggies from Sunset farm got eaten, there had been some small leftovers and I cooked those up for lunches over the weekend (complement rice and beans real well), since I had to bring lunch to this Nordic Symposium thing I was at. Barry the basil plant is doing much better, actually pointing his stems sky-ward (his only access to light is a skylight). There is one tupperware of zucchini-eggplant-tomato stew stuff in the freezer, as well as half a bag of spinach. Also in the freezer is one tupperware of pasta sauce with grass fed beef, I should eat that soon.

I've decided to exercise my powers of grad student this week and see if I can get through the entire week without shopping. It'll be a stretch, but there are a couple free lunches to help me out. I have yogurt and oatmeal and nuts and dried fruit for breakfasts, a TON of pulled pork from Ed (he worked a pig roast all day Friday, and got to keep some leftovers), half a cabbage I stole from our fridge at home, some cilantro, onions, and some bread. Ali fed me dinner yesterday, I get free lunch tomorrow, we're going out to Bub's bbq after rollerskiing on Wednesday, I get free lunch Friday, and so all I really have to do is make it through Thursday. And then hope Ed will feed me over the weekend. We should still have leftover cheese and beer, that'll get me the calories I need... Bub's shouldn't be that expensive, so that'll be ~$10 for the week. Woot. Right, this satisfies tasty and cheap but definitely not healthy...

In a normal training week, I'd die on as little food as I've just listed, but with this stupid knee injury, I've only been training like a normal person, and its scary how quickly my appetite withered and died. Sigh. I miss my 3-hr mountain runs...

No comments: