Tuesday, September 28, 2010

This week's plan

So, last week was under the budget, thanks to all the free grad student things. The freegan stars were aligned. This week, not so much, so I went down to Atkins Farm, by Holyoke college, to get my veggies, since someone had recommended it. From the outside it looks like the sort of place that will cost an arm and a leg, and maybe it would if you got sucked into buying the homemade baked goods and chocolate apples and other deliciousness, but I stayed strong, and only bought foods that were not for immediate consumption. They also have a fish counter and some local chicken and beef, as well as a very nice (if small) beer selection, so I would hazard a guess that I'll be back. I got out of there for just $17, but I had dropped $6 at the store over the weekend for eggs and tortillas and some other stuff, and after another $2 on tomatoes at Sunset Farm on my way home, I'm at my limit.

But I have such a bounty of beautiful vegetables! I'm psyched. Spent some time cooking this morning, and now I have some whole wheat rosemary rolls for munching on with my gazpacho soup and making into beet-goat cheese sandwiches. Should have taken a picture of that. Other things I'd like to make are a tomato tart, apple crisp, and some sort of tomato-bread salad. Hopefully Barry the basil plant is ready for me to harvest some of his leaves...

I have enough kale for a family of eight right now, so expect some more kale dishes soon. Although I might stick with the tried and true favorites - kale chips and kale and eggs. Maybe I'll try a kale salad, that would be seriously branching out.

No comments: