Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Lunchbox muffins


Lunchbox muffins is sort of a silly name, nobody uses a lunchbox. I've used a plastic grocery bag for the last four years, maybe that counts as a lunchbox. Anyway, these are basically a redo of veggie muffins I made a long time ago. I remembered them being good, and I wanted to see what would happen when I added some greek yogurt. Basically, looking to get these have the right macronutrient ratio to eat as a meal. Although, you'll need like four at a time to get enough calories. Anyway, I came pretty close, thanks to the huge slug of protein the greek yogurt delivers. They also taste really good, but that's because you should never sacrifice taste in the name of "nutrition". The one problem was that these guys stuck to their wrappers, I probably should have greased them.

Lunchbox muffins
Made 15

1/2C white flour
1C whole wheat flour
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2tsp flavoring - mix of black pepper, red pepper, dried herbs, whatever you like. I used a mix of peppers.
4 eggs
1/4C oil
1C nonfat greek yogurt
1C kale (packed down)
1/2-1C beet greens
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
~1/4C dried tomatoes
~3/4C shredded cheddar cheese
~3/4C shredded pecorino cheese (or other flavorful cheese)

The types of veggies and cheese are totally optional. Its basically 2-3C of chopped veggies, and 1.5C grated cheese.

Preheat your oven to 350F. In one bowl, mix the flours, baking powder, salt, and dried flavorings.

In a large bowl, mix the eggs and greek yogurt and oil. Chop all the vegetables super finely, and add them to the wet stuff. Add the cheeses to the dry mixture, and mix around until they're coated with flour. Add the wet to the dry, and stir to combine. It'll be super dry - I decided that was a good thing, because the veggies were uncooked, so they'd give off some moisture during baking.

Line the muffin tins with muffin tin liners, and spray those with something nonstick. Load 'em up high - they don't rise much on their own, so I just filled each tin as much as I feasibly could. As you can see from my blurry pictures, the muffin stays lumpy. Don't expect it to spread out.

I thought these were delicious, very definitely cheese-y and a bit spicy. They would not have passed the Ed-test, because Ed thinks muffins should be sweet, and preferably frosted. I'm not sure he realizes the difference between a muffin and a cupcake. Maybe he would eat these now, he certainly didn't eat the last ones, and still gets indignant that I put broccoli into a cupcake. Except, its not a cupcake. Sigh.

I added up the numbers, and each muffin is 153 calories. 8.5g fat, 12g carbs, and 8.5g protein. That's 22% of the muffin's calories coming from protein, making it just about a perfect snack/mini meal. If you eat like four of them. I just need bigger muffin tins. I bet sprinkling the cheese on top would be good, too, and might look nicer than having it hidden inside. Also, bacon would be good. That might get an Ed-approval, if I had bacon in the muffins.

Not the most attractive-looking muffin I've seen, but tasty enough to make up for it.

No comments: