Monday, June 18, 2018

Swiss chard fritatta

Swiss chard isn't my favorite green. I can tolerate it, but there are others that I just prefer. I find that my favorite way to consume swiss chard is mixed with eggs - somehow that improves everything about it, from texture to taste. Fritattas in general are an excellent way to use up greens, especially if you have cheese on hand. I've run out of cheese, which, besides being a first-world problem of the gravest sort, means that my fritatta was that much less delicious. Still a totally passable lunch, though.

I started with the same base as yesterday's breakfast veggies. A clove of garlic, a few sprigs of sage and tarragon, a small yellow zucch, a handful of snow peas, and the remainder of the swiss chard, maybe five leaves of it.

A glug of oil in a small cast iron pan, while the oven preheated to 350F. Toast the garlic in the oil, then the herbs, to release some flavors. Push them to the side and get some browning on the squish squash, which I'd halved and then cut into thirds. Toss in the snowpeas (chopped in half, mostly) and the chard stems (separate the leaves from the stems and chop both), maybe a pinch of salt, and another glug of oil if you need it.

Once the more firm veggies were feeling less firm, in with the chard leaves, and saute until they wilt. At this point, I had a pretty full pan, but that's a good thing, since really this fritatta was like a pile of veggies held together by some eggs.

Crack three eggs into a bowl, beat with a fork. At this point, if you had milk, I'd add a few splashes of milk to the eggs. But like the imaginary cheese, I had no milk.

If you had cheese, now would be the time to sprinkle it over your veggies. Then pour the beaten eggs over the top, and let the heat of the pan set the bottom of the fritatta. After about a minute of letting the bottom set, pop your pan into the oven, and give it 15 minutes to cook through.

I also had an egg white languishing in the fridge, and had forgotten about it when I beat the eggs. So, that got dumped on top; it's that white blob. Oops.


I think this photo may be upside down, but that doesn't change the gist of what a fritatta will look like once cooked.


No comments: