Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Refrigerator dill pickles

As predicted, I pickled the rest of the little mini cucumbers. I made a quick fridge pickle, rather than something that'll last longer. We love pickles around here, so they'll get eaten up quickly. I went with a simple vinegar and salt pickle, no sugar, and chopped the cucumbers, which I've never done before.

Overall, super tasty, even after one day. I found them a little strong on the vinegar and salt, so maybe try 3/4C vinegar instead of the full cup, and only 1tbs salt, future-me.

1C water
1C apple cider vinegar
1.5 tbs kosher salt
1 tsp fennel seeds
1tsp peppercorns
~1/4C dill? more? all of it?
~4C sliced mini cucumbers
1 clove garlic

Bring the vinegar, water, salt, fennel, peppercorns, and garlic to a boil. Once the salt has dissolved, give the brine a taste to see if you want to adjust anything.

Slice your cucumbers, and check to see what size jar they'll fit in.

Put the dill on the bottom of the jar, pack the cucumbers on top of that. Once the liquid stuff boils, pour it onto the cucumbers, and scrape the extra spices and garlic clove into the jar too. You may need to throw away some of the liquid.

Seal your jar, put it in the fridge, and wait about a week. Taste a pickle every day or two, to see how many days is your favorite number of days for your perfect pickle. Consume within a few months. These won't last forever, but they will last reasonably long!




I kind of overstuffed my jar. This is a trait fundamental to who I am. Whether it is a bag for the weekend, a taco, or a tupperware, I want no wasted space.


No comments: