Thursday, June 14, 2018

Roasted veggies

I did promise you some terrible photos, right? With Ed out of town and a small pile of veggies to use up, I made a sheet pan dinner. Ed is not a fan of sheet pan dinners, because you don't really have any unifying theme to your meal, you just have a random pile of food where you applied heat and oil and salt and walked away. To me that sounds like exactly what is supposed to happen on a weeknight. Anyway, the real star here, that I totally didn't expect, were the sunchokes. These aren't CSA, they've been languishing in the fridge for two weeks from our last Russos trip. But I've never actually tried roasting them, and turns out they respond really well to that! Slight chew, nice crust, tasty earthy flavor.

Anyway, sheet pan dinners are easy. This one featured a deboned thicken thigh, with skin, because that's always good eats. Everything else just got a quick toss with a glug of oil, a sprinkle of kosher salt, and 400 degrees for 15-30 minutes. I have no idea how long they were in there, I took them out when there weren't as many splattering noises from the oven.

On timing - I put the fingerling potatoes in there as the oven pre-heated, because they need the longest. During that time I deboned the chicken and chopped the other things. Then I added the other things, except for the zucchs. Those don't need as long. Those were part of the same Russos trip as the sunchoke, so large parts had to be sacrificed in the name of "I don't want to get sick eating mold, but I can't see the mold on these other parts so they're probably find, plus I'm cooking them so there." After maybe 10 minutes I added the zucchinis, and that was just about right, because they were done at the same time as the rest of the veggies. Once I pulled out the veggies, I broiled the chicken for another 3-5 minutes, just to get the skin to crisp up. Worth it. And dolloped on some of this spicy green cilantro sauce we have in the fridge. Also worth it.






Carrots, purple carrot, fingerling potatoes, radishes, sunchokes, zucchinis, and chicken thigh in the middle. You can see that the carrots were in the hot spot.

A note on radishes - when you cook them, they lose all their spicy bite. It's a little sad, but at the same time, if you don't like radishes because they're too peppery for you, try roasting them.

For what it's worth, this was two meals - dinner and lunch.

No comments: