Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Millions of peaches

peaches for me! Maybe not millions, but at least 12. In-season peaches are the best thing ever, I love any fruit that requires that you slurp up the juice from around your mouth after every bite.



Jackie had been raving last weekend about the peaches in wine thing that she saw here. We didn't have any peaches to try it out, but we had plenty of alcohol. Since the leftover alcohol came back to Boston with me, and now I have peaches, this was the first thing I tried. Of course, I didn't want to make eight peach's worth of this dessert, so I sort of made up the measurements. I sliced up one peach, pulled off the skins (I love it when they're so ripe you can just pull off the skins!), tossed it with two tablespoons or so of sugar, put it in a tupperware, and covered it with the Chardonnay we had in our fridge. I think it would have gone better with one of the bottles of Pinot Grigio, but we didn't have any of those open.


After letting it sit in the fridge overnight, I tried it. Yum. The peaches weren't that much sweetened, and they weren't that much alcoholed, but they were just even better than they had been the day before. This would be SO GOOD over ice cream. But its pretty good without the ice cream, too. Even Ed, who claims he doesn't like peaches (I know. I should get out of this relationship before its too late! The boy doesn't like PEACHES!) thought this worked nicely.

So, until my peaches are gone - which could be soon - I'll keep one in the fridge, marinating in a white wine syrup, for occasional munchings.

No comments: