Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Chipotle Corn Muffins


We have a can of chipotle chilis in adobo sauce. I don't really know why, I know that I bought it, with some idea of something I was going to do with it, but I've since forgotten that idea, and still not done anything with the can of chilis. So, Ed opened it the other day to make something spicy, and while that tasted fine and all, we were still left with most of a can of chilis. I had seen a recipe on Epicurious the other day for corn bread with chipotle chilis (maybe this was the elusive reason I bought the chilis in the first place!), so figured I'd go with something like that, but I used a random sort of recipe... it worked. The muffins ended up moist on the inside, with a fair kick. Given that I just about doubled the spice, that makes sense, but its not overwhelming. I was definitely NOT leaping for a glass of milk or anything, I just liked the hotness. When I got a chunk of poorly-chopped up pepper, that was a little too spicy, but overall, it was just about perfect.

The batter was also a beautiful orange color, what with the red peppers and their spicy juice being added to the yellow batter. It was quite appealing to look at.



Chipotle corn muffins
Makes 19

1C corn meal
1C white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4C brown sugar
1C yogurt
1/2C milk
3 eggs
2 tbs oil
3 tbs chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
1C corn kernels

Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease or line a muffin tin. Sorry about the uneven number of muffins, thats just how it turned out.
I suppose you could try filling each tin higher than 3/4 full.

Mix together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Add the wet to the dry, and fold to combine. Bake for 20-25min.

No comments: