Friday, November 13, 2009

Potato-Leek soup


Mama used to call this "potage", which I think just means soup, but whatever. Potage is potato leek soup. I think at one point she gave me the recipe, its similar to my recipes, using the word "about" many times and nothing is definite. This is a variation on the usual potage, because it has some kale in it. I had used the green part of the leek for something else, and I was worried the soup wouldn't be green enough. So, I added kale. And bacon, because everything is better with bacon...

Potato-leek (and kale and bacon) soup
1 large potato
1 leek
3 pieces of bacon
~1C kale
2C chicken broth (or two boullion cubes)
Water to cover
1 scallion for ganish, or chives, those are pretty too.

Chop up the bacon into little pieces, and cook it in a pan to render out most of the fat. While that cooks (it'll take 15-20min, don't try to rush it...), chop up the leek and rinse it well. Those things grow in a pile o' shit, you don't want to eat that. Drain off about half the bacon grease, and add the leek with some salt. Put the chicken broth on to boil, peel and chop the potato and add it to the broth. Add water as needed to barely cover the potato. Rinse the kale and add it to the soup. Once the leek is soft and starting to taste a little sweet, add it to the boiling potato. Once the potato is cooked, attack the soup with an immersion blender or pour it into the blender. I like mine a little chunky still, not too pureed. Serve with some bacon and scallions on top. Tastes best with some toasted baguette or sourdough bread...

No comments: