Monday, November 16, 2009

Fried seafood

Some days, you get a call that you're going to be abducted and taken to New Deal, the fish shop in Cambridge. I can't say I complain when I get that phone call... Ed wanted to cook seafood, I had no idea what he was planning but I went along with it since when he cooks things, they taste good. Usually.

So, he bought some mussels, some scallops, and some big shrimps. We went home, while Ed schemed as to what he'd make with these delectable little fruits of the sea. We did a broth thing with the mussels - white wine, water, butter, carrot, leek, tiny onions - and pretty much everything else was fried.

The picture may be dark and blurry, but it tasted much better than it looks. I love me some mussels.

Ed deep-fried the shrimp, and made french fries too. Apparently the trick to making french fries is to fry them twice. I didn't know this. It also makes your kitchen a mess, but the fries were worth it. The deep-fried shrimp... meh, I prefer them steamed or grilled. But they were alright. He pan-fried the scallops in butter - now THOSE were excellent.



Little beady shrimp eyes... I did not suck the stuff out of the heads.

No comments: