Monday, November 23, 2009

Orange yogurt cake

I'm continuing my quest for the perfect lemon-cornmeal cake... except this time it was an orange cake, with yogurt. In the past, I tried a lemon cornmeal muffin, but that wasn't quite was I was looking for. This one was a little closer, but the cornmeal was a very fine grind, so its not that cornmeal-y. I didn't have any orange zest, so went with orange extract, and I used the idea of a marmalade glaze from Dorie Greenspan's yogurt cake. Actually the recipe is pretty similar, although I was really just sort of throwing things in the pan - it was super quick to pull this together, and then it tasted darn good when I took it out of the oven. It reminded me a little of a pound cake, but not quite so dense - that is something I definitely don't like about pound cakes, they're just too dense. But I could see orange marmalade going really well as an accompaniement for this cake. Actually I could see some sort of alcohol working really well in the glaze... a limoncello-spiked lemon cake, anyone? I'll have to acquire some limoncello, then thats next. Maybe without the cornmeal, although it does give a nice little bite.

Orange cornmeal yogurt cake
3/4C regular flour
3/4C fine-ground cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp orange extract (or orange zest, if you have it)
3/4C sugar
3 eggs
1/2C plain whole milk yogurt
1/2C oil

Preheat the oven to 325F. Put all the wet ingredients into a bowl, and whisk them until they're really well combined. Dump the flours on top of the wet stuff, and the salt and baking powder on top of that. Stir the salt and baking powder gently into the flour, and then fold all the dry stuff into the wet. Pour into a greased 9x5" pan, and bake for 45 minutes. Its done when the edges are pulling away from the edge of the pan and a tester toothpick comes up clean.

Let it cool for 5 minutes, then take it out of the pan and put it on a cooling rack (over a plate, to catch the glaze drips). Microwave 1/2C marmalade with 1tbs water until its warm, then strain it. Mix the marmalade mixture with approximately an equal amount of confectioner's sugar, and pour that over the top of the cake, and let it harden - it'll harden to a tacky hardness, not super hard. Enjoy in slices!

Sorry 'bout the crummy pictures (crumby, hehe), we were too busy eating the cake. This is on day 3, and its still not stale after sitting out for three days. Sweet.

No comments: