Monday, November 9, 2009

Chocolate raspberry truffles



I tried really hard to follow a recipe here. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough butter. But that was pretty much all I changed. The original recipe looks fantastic, and next time I have a full four sticks of butter in my house I'll be trying it, but these were pretty good as is, too. I ended up bringing about half the batch (and I'd made a half batch as it was) to work, because they're just too rich and delicious to leave sitting around at home.

I'll post my "recipe" below, although I would recommend the King Arthur one first, since the brownies would have benefited from more butter and I messed up the topping... but this version is good, too.

Chocolate Raspberry Truffles
Made ~36 squares

1.5 sticks of butter (2 would be preferable, but I only had 1.5)
1/2C raspberry jam to make up for the lack of butter (I'm not sure it works this way, actually... but I also didn't have any raspberry flavor, so I figured this was killing two birds with one stone, or something)
3oz bittersweet chocolate
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp instant espresso powder
2 eggs
3/4C flour

Topping:
1/3C chocolate chips
1/4C heavy cream
1/4C raspberry jam

Garnish:
1 pint raspberries

Melt the butter in a pot, add the jam, add the sugar, mix it around. Remove the pot from the heat, let it cool a bit, then add the chocolate and stir until its melted. Add the flavorings and the eggs, stir that around. Then add the flour.

I cooked these in a 9x5" pan and a small heart-shaped pan (~8" diameter). (this is what I had available to me after halving the recipe). Preheat the oven to 400F. Bake for 30min.

This is where I stopped reading the recipe and made up my own topping. Whoops. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and add the cream. Once its all melted, stir in the raspberry jam, and spread this over the bars. Add a raspberry over where you think each square will be, and cool in the fridge (or the freezer, if you want to eat them sooner). Don't try to cut the bars while they're still warm. Frankly, I think the KAF way of doing the topping looks better, but my way made a gooey raspberry-chocolate sauce-y topping, which held the fresh raspberry quite nicely. I kept the bars in the fridge, so they never got too goopy, and they were deliciously rich. I recommend making them.

No comments: