Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Applesauce

So, Ed shook the apple tree in VT, and got close to 50 pounds of apples falling on his head. He put them in boxes and took them home, to make applesauce. 50 pounds of apples makes a LOT of applesauce. At least he bought a food mill to help him.

They start out looking like this. Clearly, he shook TWO trees. Because those aren't all from the same tree.

Then he boiled them for a while - skins and everything. He cut them in quarters first. I don't know how much water he added - I think not that much. I also don't know how long he boiled them. But I don't think it was very long.

Then the apples went in the food mill, and out came the applesauce!





He is currently in the process of canning it. I'm not helping. I just eat it. The problem is I'm not crazy about applesauce... keep your eyes peeled for interesting recipes using applesauce in the near future. First one is apple leather. And of course granola bars with applesauce. And muffins with applesauce. And brownies with applesauce. And it goes on...

No comments: