Sunday, April 27, 2008

Thai Rice Pudding

I picked up an interesting bag of rice during my last grocery shopping expedition. Sweet rice, also called glutinous rice, is related to arborio rice, the common Italian rice used to make risotto. Like arborio rice, sweet rice has a lot of starch (not glutin, glutinous rice is a misnomer), and while cooking the starch leaches out and thickens the dish. Perfect for making a delicious rice pudding!


To prepare sweet rice you first soak it at least 6 hours. You then steam it wrapped up in cheesecloth for 20 minutes like I have in this picture . While it's almost done steaming, you heat up your liquids for the pudding. For the ~1 cup of rice that I made, I used 1/2 can of coconut milk and 1/2 c of water. I didn't add spices for the first go, but I think spices like cinnamon or cardamom would work nicely. Once the liquids are boiling, and the rice and cook until it thickens. Lemme just say this was delish! Next time I want to serve with some mango slices, and I hope to get a better finished dish pic then.

No comments: