Sunday, April 20, 2008

Lo Mein

I generally have a cooking sucess rate around 50%. I think it's cause I enjoy experimenting, but certain combos that sound really good in my head (like sesame ginger muffins) are not that good in real life. Today's meal though, was a fantastic success. I feel I have the right to brag because of a few recent failures.

I'm still on an Asian food kick after visiting the Hikari market, so I decided to do something a little more interesting than just stir fry with my new yellow noodles. I decided to give lo mein a go. Lo mein is characteristically a saucy noodle and veggie dish.

The noodles came wrapped up like little ball, and I used 3 of these, which resulted in 2-3 cups of cooked noodles. I then stir fried my veggies in a mix of canola, sesame, and spicy oil. The sesame is too strong on its own, but it gives a really deep flavor as part of the mix. The spicy oil has chili and ginger in it and gives the dish a good little bite. I used cabagge, carrots, red peppers, and onions as my veggies, but anything would work well with this.

I then prepped the sauce:
3/4c veggie broth
1/4c tamari (higher quality soy sauce, it's all I use now!)
1T cornstarch

Stir the cornstarch until dissolved, then add it to the veggies when they're cooked. Let the sauce bubble thicken for about a minute. Then throw in the cooked noodles and mix mix mix.


The problem with having a culinary breakthrough is that I don't have anyone to share it with. So Alex, the next time we hang out we should consider giving this a try!

No comments: