Monday, April 21, 2008

Maple Pecan Scones



I like scones. I like maple syrup. I like pecans. I'll put them all together! I put maple icing on half the scones, and an egg wash on the other, and I think I prefer the ones with the egg wash. The maple icing is very sweet, works for dessert, but not breakfast.

3C flour
1 tbs brown sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2C pecans
6 tbs frozen butter
1/4C buttermilk
3/4C milk
1/2C maple syrup
1 egg

Toppings:
1 egg for egg wash
2 tbs maple syrup
3/4C icing sugar
1 tsp water

Preheat your oven to 375F. Mix the dry stuff well. Use a cheese grater and grate the frozen butter into the dry goods. Mix the butter pieces with your fingers for a bit, not too long. Add the pecans. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and the other wet stuff. Combine the two, do not mix too much.

Form into three ball, flatten them a bit, slice into 8 slices for each disc of dough. Brush with egg wash if you want them shiny, or if you want to glaze them, bake as they are. Bake at 375F for 15-20min.

To make the icing, mix 3/4C icing sugar with 2 tbs maple syrup and 1 tsp water. It is really sweet. Once the scones have cooled completely, you can ice them.

This makes 24 scones.

No comments: