Friday, January 1, 2010

Clean-out-the-freezer Fritatta




With Ed in VT, and me leaving for Alaska, I needed to get the fridge cleaned out and somehow feed myself at the same time. Luckily, the only things that needed using up were eggs and cheese, so I used up some frozen spinach, frozen corn kernels, and sundried tomatoes to make a delicious fritatta. It always pays to bring food for the plane, since now you have to buy flood in the air if you want to eat - they don't feed you, the bastards.

Fritattas are pretty easy. First, I sauteed a shallot in some oil, then cooked the spinach and corn until the ice had melted (not very long). I set that aside, mixed together 10 eggs, liberally buttered the pan, and dumped in the eggs. Then the veggies and stuff, and some chopped sundried tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and some salt and pepper. Cook without stirring or anything for ~5 minutes, until the top has just barely set. Then put the whole pan in the oven (preheated to 350F), for 5-10 minutes, depending on how unset your eggs are, or under the broiler if you want the tops to get brown.

I pulled it out of the pan and let it cool on a cutting board, but I don't think that matters too much.
Gooey and uncooked, with the cheese and veggies just thrown on top.

This is the point when I put it in the oven.

No comments: