Friday, December 18, 2009

Chocolate-walnut chewy clifbar knockoffs



Another of my favorite nectar bars is the dark chocolate walnut one. I made some modifications to this, adding some salt and some instant espresso powder, but they were darn close to the original - I think the melted chocolate and the cocoa really did the trick.

I searched around online for recipes first, and found this and this, so sort of combined them/did my own thing. I also only had 1.25C of dates left, and I think I could have gone with more. Oh well, next time.



1.25C dates (I'd recommend at least 1.5C for a sweeter bar)
1C walnuts
2oz dark chocolate
2 tbs cocoa
1/2tsp instant espresso powder
1 tsp vanilla
a hefty sprinkling of salt

Grind the dates up in a food processor until you have little bits of date. Toast the walnuts in a 350F oven for 8 minutes, until they're just toasty-tasting. Grind those up in the food processor, too, but not too small. Melt the chocolate with the vanilla in the microwave, and then stir in the cocoa, salt, espresso powder, dates and walnuts. Use your hands to really mush everything together and get it all mixed up well. Form the dough into 7 even balls, and then roll those into logs and flatten. Wrap in plastic wrap to store.

No comments: