Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Eating PRO on the go, 2010: chicken stir fry

I'm actually quite hesitant to put this picture up, since it just looks disgusting. We had bought an entire chicken, because it was cheaper, and we used the breasts in the pasta dish the other day. I butchered the rest of it to use the dark meat in the stir fry, and it was quite good - I normally don't take the dark meat off the bone until after its cooked, but in this case, it worked. It also allowed us to make chicken stock for the lentil soup that we had last night.

I swear, that chicken is cooked, and tasted delicious.

I marinated the chicken (cut into pieces) for about 20 minutes in a mixture of soy sauce and honey - sort of like a terriyaki sauce. I really liked the flavor that gave to the chicken, I'll be trying that combination again some time. The vegetables were a usual mix - an onion, two heads of broccoli, a yellow pepper, a green pepper, a zucchini, a yellow squash, and a carrot. I doused the veggies in a generous glug of soy sauce, early on, and just cooked the chicken in a separate pan. We served this one over brown rice. I'll be honest, I'm a little sick of brown rice... but it seems to be the only grain that we manage to agree on this trip, so I'll put up with it.

No comments: