Sunday, July 20, 2008

Pear-Barley (Bacon) Salad


Everything is better with bacon, no? I think it's a good principle to operate under. This isn't the prettiest salad ever, in fact its a little bland looking, but the joy is all in the textures. Think crispy bacon, creamy feta, crunchy pears, chewy barley... One of my favorite ways to make a pita pizza is with bacon, onions (cooked in the bacon grease, of course), bosc pears, and feta. It being too hot to make a pizza today, I opted for the salad, forgetting somehow that bacon takes cooking, which is hot. Anyway, by the time I started cooking the bacon and realized it was too hot to be doing this, it was too late, so I just continued, throwing the onions in the bacon grease once the bacon was cooked to within an inch of its life. Then I figured that if I have the stove on I may as well add some garlic to the mix. Meanwhile, I cooked the barley (I don't care what the package may tell you, only use 2 cups of water to 1C of barley, or it will be overcooked and blech). Then I put everything in a big bowl and couldn't stop eating it.

Makes ~4C
1/2C pearled barley, raw
6 slices bacon (+1-2 slices to eat while you're making the rest of the salad, so that none of the actual salad bacon gets eaten)
1 bosc pear, cut up into little pieces
1/4C pecans, chopped
1/2 onion, diced, cooked in the bacon grease
1-2 cloves of garlic, also diced and cooked in the bacon grease
1 tbs fresh thyme (less if its dried)
1C chopped parsley
1-2 tbs salt
2-4 tbs crumbled feta
pepper to taste
1-2 tsp lemon juice

Mix everything together and eat.

No comments: