Sunday, July 13, 2008

Strawberry muffins




I have a serious backlog of yummy things to eat. After strawberry picking, I made strawberry muffins, and Ed really liked them. Ed is my barometer of how good food actually is. Not only did these pass the "not bad" rating, they hit the "these are excellent!" rating (complete with exclamation point). That is pretty rare. I guess what I'm saying is, try making these muffins. They're just the PDQ berry muffin from the King Arthur Flour book, but if you don't have that book yet (after all my raving about it?? geez), here is the recipe.

Strawberry Muffins
2C flour
1/2C sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs baking powder
1.5C berries
2-4 tbs butter, melted
1C milk (I used skim, because I had it). Or sour cream or yogurt.
2 eggs

1/4C coarse sugar (optional)

Preheat your oven to 500F. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a big bowl. Add the berries, I quartered my strawberries and then chopped them in half again the not-long way. In a separate bowl or two-cup measure, mix the butter, milk, and eggs. Add the wet to the dry, stir until just combined, and distribute among 12 greased muffin tins. Sprinkle ample amounts of coarse sugar to the top of each muffin. Put them in the oven, drop the temperature to 400, and bake for 20 minutes.

Eat!

No comments: