Saturday, April 27, 2013

Beans, beans, they're good for your heart...

I do love me some good beans.  Especially when you put bacon and avocado on top, and eat them with jalapeno cheddar cornbread.  


 The cornbread was easy - buy a tub of cornmeal, follow the instructions on the side, but add in some jalapenos, diced up finely, and grate a bunch of cheddar on top.  I halved the recipe, and it made enough to fit my heart-shaped pan.  Perfect!  I didn't have fresh jalapenos, but I did have pickled ones, and that was pretty delicious - I recommend it.  They came in a can, from Shaws.  I'm sure you can find them at other stores.

The beans were easy, too.  I forgot to soak them this morning, so did a quick soak when I got home - bring to a boil, then turn off and let them sit for an hour.  Drain off the soaking liquid, then add more water, salt, a beef bone (or a pork rib, or a chicken leg, or really any piece of animal with bone and tendons attached to create delicious flavor), a bay leaf, a quartered onion, and 3-4 smashed garlic cloves.  Simmer for 45min, until they're soft.  I think they're best if you let them cool in their cooking water, because then the skins won't break.  

As the beans were cooking, I chopped up two pieces of bacon (mmmm, bacon), rendered it for a while, then threw in half a poblano and another clove of garlic.  That got tossed on top of the beans, plus some avocado chunks, cilantro leaves, and some squeezes of fresh lime juice.  Yes, beans can be delicious!  They really needed a taco instead of corn bread, but hey, corn bread is easier.


The dark green stuff is crispy kale.


No comments: