Thursday, August 16, 2012

Strawberry lemon buttermilk cake

Ali made this amazing buttermilk strawberry cake the other day (ok, back in May or June or something like that), and then she left a thing of buttermilk in my fridge.  I used it in many things, but ultimately, the only option was to make another lemon buttermilk cake.  I can't find the exact recipe I used, but this one is close enough, and the cake really was good.  Moist, dense, lots of zing from the lemons and buttermilk, and packed with strawberries.  Hard to go wrong!

If you follow this recipe from epicurious, you'll get close.  I remember I used a full lemon's worth of zest, and 3 eggs, but only 3/4C sugar.  And I think I used olive oil, not butter... I can't remember.  Should have written this down earlier!  I'll have to ask Ali if she can remember the recipe, but that epicurious one is certainly worth a go =)


These were strawberries, tossed with some sugar and some basil.  Good enough on their own, they barely needed the cake!


Definitely plop some whipped cream on top!

No comments: