Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Chewy ginger cookies

A while back, Melissa (one of my coworkers) made a molasses ginger cookie and brought it in, and it was delicious - chewy, soft, gingery. I decided that those were perfect holiday cookies, and I had her recipe, so I attempted to make them on my own. Unfortunately, I only had a small dribble of molasses left, so I just replaced it with honey. Close enough, and the cookies are chewy, so life is good. They aren't as dark as hers, but thats not really an issue.



Chewy ginger cookies
Made 67 cookies

3/4C butter
1C white sugar
1/4C honey
2-1/2C flour
1/3C water
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1C candied ginger, chopped

Cream the butter and sugar. Stir in the honey and water. Mix together the dry ingredients, add to the wet. Stir in the candied ginger. The recipe says the dough might be very soft, in which case you should refrigerate it, but my dough was quite stiff. Because the air was dry, maybe?

Roll into little balls and flatten slightly, roll in granulated sugar and put on the baking sheet.

Bake at 300F for 8 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Note: these could be vegan cookies (I think they started out that way) if you used margarine instead of butter. Not for me, but maybe if you have vegan friends?

No comments: