Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Anchovies


I've never eaten anchovies before. In fact, I don't honestly know the difference between an anchovy and a sardine. But Ed went and edumacated himself because he wanted to make this pasta sauce with anchovies in it that he'd seen on Molto Mario. Or something like that. I was a little suspicious, but, in the end it turned out well enough. I don't exactly know what went into this, just that he put together all the things and cooked it for a while, and then the fish sort of disintegrates into nothingness, just a little bit of salty fish flavor, which doesn't sound all that appealing but it actually tasted delicious.

I think there was plenty of basil, onion, garlic, a can of tomatoes, a couple fresh tomatoes, white wine, the anchovies - I hear the important thing is to first soak them in milk, to draw out some of the saltiness. Ed did this. Sorry this isn't much of a recipe, but there are plenty of "tomato sauce with anchovies" recipes out there if you use the google. I'm just here saying you should try it. I wanted to try this with tunafish, but got told that wouldn't taste good. I think hes probably right about that.

No comments: