Friday, September 18, 2009

Eggless chocolate chip cookies


Yesterday was Ed's birthday. We didn't have any eggs or milk, so I couldn't make him a cake, so he asked for chocolate chip cookies. And then I remembered I didn't have any eggs. I browsed around for a chocolate chip cookie recipe without eggs, but the only ones I thought had a chance were ones that replaced eggs with some sort of strange vegan product or with a mixture of flaxseeds and water which had been soaked overnight. I needed to make these cookies now. Not the next day. So, I went out on a limb. I took a regular chocolate chip cookie recipe and just didn't add the eggs. I did add some water (for the correct texture) and some honey (hoping for chewiness), and I didn't bake them long. In fact, they might have been very underbaked, but there were no eggs, so its ok.

I never actually ate any of these cookies. Ed wanted big cookies, so I made him big cookies, but that meant that I could only fit four on the baking sheet. I took the rest of the cookie dough to work with me =) (about two big cookie's worth, if you plan on repeating this recipe and want to know the numbers - 6 big cookies). I felt that I should probably leave Ed all four of the baked cookies. But boy did they look good! And the cookie dough is delicious - and you don't have to worry about raw eggs.

Eggless chocolate chip cookies
1 stick butter
1/4C white sugar
1/4C brown sugar
2 tbs honey
2 tbs water
1C flour
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1C chocolate chips

Cream the butter with the brown and white sugars. Add the water, honey, and vanilla, and stir until its a uniform texture. Dump the flour, soda, and salt on top, and stir that around to mix it up. Then incorporate that dry stuff into the wet. Once it looks uniformly mixed, add the chocolate chips.

You can either save the cookie dough in the freezer for munching, or bake at 325F for 10-15 minutes (depending on the size of the cookie). Be sure to take them out before they get too brown around the edges, nobody wants crunchy cookies.

No comments: