Thursday, October 1, 2009

Apple chunk muffins



Anna and I went apple picking, and after we went back into the field, having discovered that we did indeed like empire apples, we had more than enough apples to keep us applefied. Anyway, she recommended the King Arthur Flour apple muffins, and so I went and looked up the recipe and thought, yeah, those are gonna be really tasty.

And then, because I am utterly useless at actually following recipes, I didn't really follow the recipe at all. I sort of wasn't paying attention, and then when I got around to adding the wet to the dry I checked to see how well I'd been following the recipe, and it turns out I'd actually put in two eggs and regular milk instead of one egg and buttermilk, but you know, these turned out alright anyway. Funny how that works. I think I'm just not too picky when it comes to muffins.

Apple chunk muffins
Makes 16

1C white whole wheat flour
1C white flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2C brown sugar (add more if you like a sweeter muffin)
Some cinnamon
Some nutmeg
Some ground ginger, but not too much
2 tbs oil
2 eggs
1C milk
2 apples
1/2C walnuts
1/2C golden raisins
More brown sugar for sprinkling on top

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a muffin tin.
Mix together the flours, baking powder, salt, spices, and sugar. In a 2C measure, mix the eggs, oil, and milk. Add the wet to the dry, don't overmix it while combining. Add the apples (peeled and chopped), walnuts and raisins. Fold those in. Fill the muffin tins just about to the top. Its a chunky batter, some chunks will be higher than others. Sprinkle brown sugar on top of each muffin, and bake for 15-20 minutes, until they're golden brown and delicious.

So, not quite the King Arthur Flour version, but they're still darn good.

No comments: