Thursday, September 17, 2009

Pinwheel cookies



I made pinwheel cookies the other day. I don't know what inspired me to do this, but, they were a real pain in the neck. Sticking to drop cookies from now on. The main annoying bits were the multiple steps and refrigerations, which I knew were coming, but still, it just seemed like too much work. I wanted a mint chocolate cookie, so I guess that is why I decided on pinwheel cookies. They're pretty, anyway.

I found a recipe here, but I'm re-pasting it below because I changed things around to make mine mint and chocolate. I also made two separate batches of dough. Seemed easiest.

Chocolate half:
1.5C flour
1/4tsp baking powder
1/4tsp salt
1 stick butter
2/3C sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbs cocoa powder
2 tbs oil

Mint half:
1.5C flour
1/4tsp baking powder
1/4tsp salt
1 stick butter
2/3C sugar
1 egg
1/4tsp mint extract
Green food coloring

You can use one bowl for this, but start with the mint, because you don't want chocolate color mixing with your green.

In a large bowl, cream the butter with your sugar. Add the egg and flavor extract. Add green food coloring one drop at a time until the dough is as green as you want it (you can skip this if you don't want green cookies). Mix together the dry stuff, and add it to the wet stuff, mix to combine. Roll up the dough into a roughly rectangular shape, and refrigerate for 30min.

Do the same thing for the chocolate, but add the oil with the wet and the cocoa with the dry.

After both rectangles of dough have sat in the refrigerator for 30min, take them out and cut them into 2-4 pieces (I cut four pieces, I recommend 2). Roll them flat, until they're ~1/4" thick. I rolled mine too thin, which made for very small cookies. I found the dough warmed up too quickly which made rolling a real pain, but a well-floured table did the trick for me eventually. As I said, I rolled mine too thin, which also contributed to my rolling problems.

Lay one sheet of cookie dough on top of the other, and cut the edges so that it makes a square. Roll it up like a cigar, and return it to the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Repeat this with the other pieces of cookie dough.

Once they've been refrigerated, take them out, slice them, and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 325 for 6-8 minutes (probably more if you made bigger cookies). They don't spread out at all, so you can crowd them a little.





The end pieces don't look so pretty... but they still taste good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya,
I just made mint chocolate pinwheel cookies today. I searched for images of other peoples' finished product, and found yours. Although I used a different recipe, I shared a lot of the same frustrations as you. There are certain aspects of your pinwheel recipe that would greatly improve upon the reipce I prepared. Pinwheels are a somewhat tedious endevour, although rewarding once they're cooling on the wire rack.
Yours look great!
ATB