Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Easy Red Wine-Poached Figs

Salutations from sunny, decidedly-not-humid California! It's my first time posting and I'd just like to apologize for the long delay in posting. But this blog isn't about apologies; it's about recipes and here's a really simple yet delicious one that can be a dessert or an et cetera.

Several weeks ago, I had an intense craving for yogurt. Maple flavored yogurt from Trader Joe's, to be exact. I developed my obsession for it while working as a scenic artist for Berkeley Rep, where just about all the scenic artists were obsessed with a particular flavor. While picking up some yogurt, I couldn't help but notice a nice packet of figs sitting nearby. Now, I'm a sucker for good figs. Something about the sweetness and the color and the bajillions of seeds... So, I had a bunch of figs, but unfortunately not all of them were ripe. And since I'm the only one in my household who likes figs, the poor things languished for awhile. And then, Eureka!

A quick way to keep otherwise delicate fruit or just dress up less than fabulous fruit is to gently cook it with sugar, a bit of liquid, and sometimes a good dollop of butter. What better pairing for the distinctively luscious fig than red wine? Pick a good red wine, one that you wouldn't mind drinking straight, and go for it. It will bring out all the sweetness of the figs and soften any sharp notes you might get from unripe fruit. Add a good dash of cinnamon and sugar, and you're set.

Easy Red Wine-Poached Figs

2 handfuls of figs, topped and split in half lengthwise
2 c good red wine, maybe a merlot or beaujolais
2-3 tsp granulated sugar, to taste
about 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon, to taste
dash of nutmeg

Try to choose a wine that's well-balanced, not too much bite, preferably a bit fruity. I used some of a Gallo blended red that my mother had leftover from her Boeuf Bourgignon.

1. Combine wine, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in saucepan over medium heat. Heat until sugar is dissolved and bring to a simmer. Add the figs.















2. Simmer until the figs are soft and the aroma from the pot is fragrant. You may need to flip the figs over to get every side immersed.















3. Remove the figs. Reduce the poaching liquid down to about half.















4. Return the figs to the liquid to get it all to the same temperature. From here, you can serve it over vanilla ice cream (mmm!) or, since I was desperate, over maple yogurt.
It'll also keep well in the fridge. Enjoy!

No comments: