Friday, September 5, 2008

Cake Balls!

That sounds appetizing, doesn't it? I had some leftover margarita frosting from margarita cupcakes, and I wasn't sure what to do with it, but I was so enthralled with the peanut butter balls that I decided to do something along those lines. I made a generic cake, mixed it up with the frosting, rolled it into balls, and dipped it into white chocolate. The end result was sweet-- very sweet. But good! If you eat one. More than that and its too sweet. Anyway, these would have benefitted from a second dip in white chocolate, but I didn't want to waste the chocolate =).


First I made a generic cake. And then crumbled it up. The one I made was this:

1C flour
1C sugar*
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
2 tbs melted butter
Milk

Add the dry stuff to a bowl. In a two-cup measure, beat the egg and the butter. Top off to a cup of liquid with the milk. Add the wet to the dry, mix until just combined, and cook at 350F for 15-20min in a 4x8" breadpan until its golden on top. Cool before crumbling.


Once you've crumbled up the cake, add a couple globs of frosting. I found a 1:2 ratio of frosting to cake was about right.


Mix it up. I added some (too much) green food coloring, because I wanted green cake balls.


Roll them into balls, put them on a tray, and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes to let them harden up.


Melt some white chocolate (5oz, here) in a double boiler.


Using two forks, dip each ball in the melted chocolate, then place on a cookie sheet (covered with wax paper). Place the dipped balls into the fridge to cool until the chocolate is hardened.

*If you want to make the balls less sweet, use less sugar in the cake.

No comments: