Thursday, October 9, 2008

Israeli Couscous glop


Doesn't this picture just look like such an appetizing pile of glop? Maybe it would look more appetizing if I didn't call it glop... but I like that word. It describes so many things so well! Anyway, I was hungry, and I didn't want to make it look all nice and fancy, and how fancy can glop look anyway? There be my excuse for glopful pictures.

Couscous is just pasta, and Israeli couscous is large couscous. It kind of reminded me of those bubbles you get in bubble tea. I don't particularly like bubble tea, but I liked the couscous. According to the all-knowing google, Israeli couscous is actually Levantine couscous, and it is made with hard wheat instead of semolina flour. Useless fact of today!

So I figured that since couscous is pasta, it would go well with a sauce. This is a pretty quick meal. While you're chopping/cooking the veggies, get the water boiling. It'll take about 10 minutes to boil the water and 10 minutes to let the couscous sit, so you have 20 minutes to chop the veggies and make the sauce. I had some leftover canned tomato sauce (like tomato puree, but already seasoned, and the same price!) from my lasagna exploits, so I used that. I sweated some onions in bacon grease, added garlic, cooked some mushrooms, added the sauce, and then grated a zucchini and added that. Its a nice way of using up zucchini without actually thinking that you're eating zucchini and being sick of it. It just adds thickness to the sauce, in my experience, no strange zucchini flavors or anything like that. You can add whatever veggies you think would taste good, I bet an eggplant would be alright, or some peppers.

To cook the couscous, boil 2C of water, add 1C of couscous, boil for 3 minutes, and then removed the pot from the heat and let it sit covered for 5-10 minutes, until it tastes cooked but still quite chewy; al dente. It is a pasta product, after all! Drain any leftover water. Then add the couscous to the sauce, toss to coat, and serve! Simple, and almost a one-pot meal. A two-pot meal. The Ed-rating was a "I like this couscous better than the normal stuff", which I'll take as a success. Grated parmesan cheese is another great addition...

2 comments:

Jess said...

I saw Israeli Couscous in Weggies the other day and almost bought it. Damn you for beating me to it!

Alex said...

So... cook it a different way!