Friday, September 19, 2008

Crunchy Kale

Kale is somewhat boring. No matter what you do. And the unfortunate thing (fortunate?) is that it comes in huge batches. And its really good for you. And its pretty cheap. So you should eat it, right?

Using my extensive knowledge of the family brassicaceae (I took taxonomy of flowering plants, back in the day), I realized that if broccoli and brussels sprouts get crunchy in the oven, kale must do it too. Turns out I was right! I tossed the kale with olive oil and threw on some salt, put it in the oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees, and I got little crunchy kale thingies! Definitely a finger food, don't even bother with a fork.

Start with a giant bunch of kale. Chop it up, into bite-size pieces. Toss with some olive oil (maybe 1/2 a tablespoon?), until it is evenly coated but not soaked. Sprinkle some salt on top. Don't overdo the salt, because kale seems to really pick up on that, so if you put on too much salt, it'll taste REALLY salty. Put the kale on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until it is crunchy and thoroughly cooked. Enjoy!



Oh, and the Ed-rating: he likes it. If it doesn't get cooked enough and its soggy, thats no good, but once its crunchy, its good.

1 comment:

Helen said...

I love your kale chips idea! As you mentioned, it's important to be careful with salt. It's nothing special to kale, it's just that it's mostly made out of water and shrinks a lot during cooking (just like spinach, chard, etc). I find it a lot easier to season leafy greens after they are cooked, so that I can taste and adjust. Before cooking them, it's really hard to judge the right amount of salt.

Cheers,
-Helen