Friday, November 2, 2018

CSA week 19&20

Our final pickup was last week. I've gotten way too lax about taking photos, but here is the last batch, I think. Coming up next: a summary of the most delicious things that we made from this summer's CSA.


Stuffed spaghetti squash is the best! Gosh I have no idea what we stuffed this in, but knowing us, it's probably some greens, sausage, and a lot of cheese. With more cheese on top. Maybe some sundried tomatoes and mushrooms hidden in there. It's such a flexible recipe - roast your squash, scrape out the spaghetti-like innards, mix those strands with tasty other fillings, return to the squash shells and top with cheese to broil until the topper-cheese is toasty brown. You just can't go that wrong.



Our last beautiful bouquet before the first frost


This was a somewhat uninspired dish using up leftover everythings. We've got some chinese pink sausage, acorn squash, green peppers and red onions, and some cilantro and roasted squash seeds on top. This would have been pretty tasty if it had been sweet Italian sausage rather than the sweet chinese sausage - I don't like that stuff. Gotta experiment sometimes, I suppose.



Ooh this was a good meal. Cheese board! I made some rosemary crackers, which were quite nice, and then a bunch of toppings - roasted apples, onion jam, crispy kale, roasted pumpkin with butter-fried sage leaves, and the roasted pumpkin seeds.



The pumpkin was pretty good. It's so not-sweet compared to other squashes. I cut some slices and roasted them, and that got them to the edible stage, but not quite fully cooked. Then I was browning butter, just because that's sometimes a necessary step when dealing with pumpkin, and I fried the pumpkin pieces for a while in the browned butter. Big improvements. Especially when you toss the leftovers with pasta and cheese and more sage.







mmmmm.


Pumpkin cinnamon rolls! These were delicious, because I've made them before, and I know that putting pumpkin puree in the filling makes for a deliciously moist and pumpkin-y roll. King Arthur Flour's recipe: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cinnamon-swirl-pumpkin-rolls-recipe

I put some pearl sugar on half of these, and pumpkin icing on the other half. Ed was displeased, because in his world, cinnamon rolls are carriers for frosting, and half the rolls had no frosting and half weren't frosted enough. To me, a cinnamon roll is a bread item. Well, we're doing it my way until he starts making the cinnamon rolls.




Next up: my favorite seasonal recipes!

No comments: