Wednesday, August 22, 2018

CSA Week #11

We missed a week of delicious produce, because we forgot it was Thursday. I'll spread the blame over two of us. But anyway, the following week was delicious, especially after fumbling our way through a week of leftovers and sad grocery store food. I don't even know what we ate.

This last week has been all about tomatoes. And peppers. I'm not a huge fan of green peppers, because I just don't like them that much when cooked, but it turns out they're pretty tasty just eaten raw. I've taken to chopping a pepper into slices to snack on while cooking dinner... can't be that bad a habit, right?




2.5lb slicing tomatoes
2lb heirloom tomatoes
2lb green peppers
8 ears corn
1 bunch kale
2 silver something onions
2 heads of garlic
2 zucchinis

The pre-pickup email had been talking about lower yields this week because of torrential rain, and I suppose maybe this was a lower yield, but I still have a lot of tomatoes to deal with. Especially with Ed in VT, this week has been very much about putting away some food for freezing. With a couple experiments.






Like this cauliflower/corn/tomato tart. I've never made a cauliflower crust before, and I have to say that I oversalted this one almost to the point of being inedible. Luckily, the pancake-like filling wasn't very salty, and the corn kernels were so sweet that they offset the saltiness. For the filling I basically used my fritter recipe - two eggs, a quarter cup or so of corn meal, a small spoonful of baking powder and a small spoonful of salt, and corn. That part was good, creamy and crunchy. The tomatoes on top didn't add much. As an experiment, I would give this one a low grade, but passing, because I did manage to eat the whole thing. I could see myself trying the cauliflower crust thing again, but it would need to be cooked more, and not in the form of a tart. This one just sort of turned to mush.



Tomato salads for days. The best, and simplest, way that I like to eat a good tomato is to slice it up, salt it, and maybe add a drizzle of olive oil or some basil leaves. But just salt and tomatoes is enough to keep me going forever.




I tried a panzanella, but I have to admit that I didn't have cucumbers or onions at that point, so it was just tomatoes, stale bread, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt. It was fine, but I'm still not a fan of stale bread.

Forgot to take any photos of the tomato focaccia and bruschetta topping, but it was delicious. The bruschetta was just two tomatoes, an onion, and a ton of basil. With olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt. Noticing a theme?

I stopped by the farm on my way back from the Catskills with my parents, and picked more green beans, husk cherries, cherry tomatoes, tomatillos, hot peppers, and mini sweet peppers. Really enjoyed a scromelette of green beans, dill, cherry tomatoes, and eggs the other morning. And a tomatillo/husk cherry salsa.

No comments: