Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Burgers, with flavor!

We wanted burgers the other day, and may have gotten a little carried away with all the stuff we put into them.  I don't remember exactly everything, but I do remember that these were quite tasty, juicy and flavorful.  I don't know if we had a theme for our flavors, but  remember grinding up some cumin, coriander, cardamom, pepper, and fennel, along with a couple good pinches of sumac and even more pinches of salt.  Then most of a head of parsley, a clove or two of garlic, and a handful of pitted green olives (not the canned kind; the tasty kind that are small and olive-y tasting).  

I mixed that up with my hands, because what better way is there than that? Threw a small piece in the pan to test the flavors (yum), and formed two burgers.  The meat was way too finely-ground, which may have been the inspiration behind putting all the stuff in the burger in the first place, and it was also way too lean, but the olives helped keep things moist.  I think it was buffalo meat, since that had been the same price as cow meat for some reason, and I like trying new things. Tasted similar to cow.  



I cooked these just in a pan - got a good sear on both sides and after maybe 10 minutes they were cooked through.  We were lacking any burger buns (fail), but did have some fresh whole wheat bread, that we cut in half, slathered with hummus on one side and garlic aioli on the other, and that was totally acceptable.



No comments: