Thursday, September 27, 2012

Beet burgers

I'm a bit behind on blogging some of the delicious things we've been eating lately, so here goes a stab at some posting.  These are beet burgers.  They were actually quite delicious, but got a mediocre Ed-rating, I think mostly because they're sorta weird.  They're kinda like a veggie burger.  I thought they were the perfect mix of crunchy and chewy and delicious.  The inspiration was from an Ottolenghi http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/blog/2010/10/17/cake-geeks/">
recipe, but I ended up not really following that at all.  


I believe the ratio was:
2 eggs
1 raw beet, peeled and grated
1/2C bulgur, cooked
~1/2C random assorted fresh herbs (basil, dill, and parsley, here)
2tsp kosher salt
Some pepper
1/4 preserved lemon, diced
some fresh ginger, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
Some tahini - 2 tbs?

Mix everything up, then shallow-fry the patties until they're crispy and brown on each side.  It took ~5min a side, I think.

Drain on a paper towel, and salt lightly while they're still warm.

I topped mine with a yogurt-cucumber sauce.  It was a nice addition.

Very pink inside!

I liked how crunchy these were on the outside.  And they tasted deliciously like beets and herbs.  I'd make them again, for sure.  Maybe served with something, as opposed to just on their own...



No comments: