Friday, April 6, 2012

Fruit and yogurt parfait



I swear, we actually cooked things in March, but I guess I'm a bit back-logged right now. However, I just made the most wonderful dessert/breakfast/snack EVAR, and it looked pretty, so I figured I'd post it. Fruit and yogurt parfaits are delicious, and this was no exception. This one may be healthier than what you'll pick up at Starbucks or whatever, if only because of what goes into it (or what doesn't go into it), but sugar levels and whatnot are all at your control. Go nuts! Or not. This concoction was reliant on the fact that I always have some of the ingredients on hand - like plain yogurt, frozen raspberries, and oats. But you could go out and buy the stuff.

No Ed-rating, as he wasn't here to test it. I don't know how he feels about eating out of a wine glass...

Fruit and Yogurt Parfait
Prep time: ~20min

3/4C yogurt, any variety
~3/4C chopped strawberries or other fresh fruit
2Tbs tablespoons of frozen berries, thawed (keep the juice!)
1/4C oats
~1tbs walnuts, chopped
~1tbs shredded sweetened coconut
~1tbs flax seeds

First, make the crunchy topping. Spread the oats, coconut, flax seeds, and walnuts on a baking sheet, and bake for ~10 minutes at 350F, until the coconut is lightly brown, and the oats have some crunch to them.

Then chop the strawberries, or other fresh fruit. I suppose apples, pears, bananas, melon, mango... well, other fruit, would work. I happened to have strawberries.

Put strawberries in cup of some sort. Or bowl. Doesn't really matter, as you're just going to stir it all up and eat it soon, anyway, but the glass was pretty.

First layer of yogurt. I used plain yogurt, sweetened with some maple syrup. Also, I put down a layer of crunchies before this layer of yogurt.

Then a layer of frozen fruit, thawed. Dump the juice right on top.



The rest of the yogurt on top of that.

And then dump some crunchies on top! At this point, you can eat it - I like to keep the bowl of remaining crunchies next to me, so that as I get through that layer, I can add more. If you add them all at once, they go soggy, and this concoction is way tastier with the changes in texture.

No comments: