Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cauliflower mac and cheese

I guess I have a bit of a backlog here of photos I took of tasty food - this one is from after I got back from Rumford with the team. I had volunteered to Peter that I take some of the leftover food (we had lots), and he was thrilled, so packed me up four shopping bags worth of leftovers. Luckily, skiers eat relatively healthily, and it's all food that I like, but I now have like five bags of apples in the bottom of my fridge, and none of them are crispy enough for my tastes when it comes to eating raw apples. I'm whittling them down by putting an apple in my oatmeal every day.

We also now are in possession of the largest hunk of cheddar cheese I've ever seen, as well as four packs of english muffins, a 3lb box of macaroni, and three big tubs of yogurt. The yogurt I can use up on the oatmeal with the apples, but for the cheese and macaroni, well, there's only one solution there - mac 'n' cheese! I decided that I wanted to make this semi-healthy, so put a cauliflower in it, like this recipe.



The end result was pretty good, but given that it made a whole pan, we're still slowly working on the leftovers. The topping was ground up english muffins and more cheese, and I doubled the amount of cheese in the actual recipe - 1/2C is not enough for a full pan of this stuff! But the cauliflower was a good idea, and it got a passable Ed-rating. I think we also added some garlic, and some chopped up ancho chile, just for more flavor.


I'd recommend this - tasty, filling, and even has vegetables in it.

No comments: