Friday, March 18, 2011

Eating PRO on the go - creative pork loin...

I may have mentioned that our kitchen is pretty small. We have an oven, but it is about the size of a toaster oven. I did find some sort of baking sheet equivalent thing, sort of, so I decided to cook a pork tenderloin in the oven. It worked, and actually tasted pretty good. I served it with sweet potatoes, and cauliflower and cheese and caramelized onions. And couscous. Mostly, I made a fancy meal because I was refusing to eat pasta every single night this week - Greg would have been happy, but I think Cristina would have gotten annoyed too.


Pork tenderloin stuffed with caramelized onions:
Served 3, but one of them was Greg, so probably would serve 4 normal people

1/2kg pork tenderloin
1 onion
olive oil
salt
pepper (in this case, lemon pepper, as it came with the apartment)

Preheat the oven to 200C ish. Chop the onion, and cook it down in a frying pan with some salt and oil for a while, until its golden brown and delicious. Add salt and oil as needed. Cut the pork tenderloin almost in half, lengthwise - basically, butterfly it. Stuff with onions. Rub copious amounts of salt and pepper on top. Cook for 30min, more or less, until it looks and tastes done. I'm sure there is a temperature it should have been at, but, our snow thermometer doesn't have a meat probe.

The sweet potatoes were simple - cut them into wedges, toss with olive oil and salt, and bake (at like 250C, or more like 400-450F) until they're also golden-brown and delicious. They are wonderful, because the sugar inside makes them crunchy and caramelized.

Did I mention that we're using a McDonald's tray as a cutting board? High class.

The cauliflower was also delicious. I caramelized more onions, and then sauteed the cauliflower until it was soft. Then, add cheese chunks.

That was a darn tasty dinner for only being prepared in a kitchen the size of my bed at home. I impressed myself. I think tomorrow we'll have pasta and meatballs again, though...

No comments: