Friday, December 11, 2009

Spaghetti squash

I bought a spaghetti squash the other day - really had no idea what to do with it, but thats where The Google comes in. Ed warned me that he didn't like spaghetti squash, but I wanted to try it anyway. Apparently, you're supposed to either boil it, microwave it, or bake it, until its cooked, then take a fork and tear out the little spaghetti-like pieces. I went with the baking approach - cut it open length-wise (although Ed had cut it open cross-wise first, wanting to see if there was spaghetti inside), scoop out the seeds and gunk, smear olive oil over the inside pocket and the flat bits, and put it face down on a baking sheet in a 350-400F oven for 20-30 minutes. Its done when you can insert a knife smoothly and easily into the back - this happened at about 20min for me, and it was still a bit on the crunchy side when we pulled out the strands of spaghetti. I decided that I like it that way.



We served it under a stirfry, and it was ok. Not amazing, but it served the purpose of being a generic yellow starchy thing. Ed ate it, and proclaimed that while it was edible, he didn't see the need to make it a regular part of our diets... I kind of agree, although it was definitely kind of cool.



We have lots of leftover spaghetti squash. Next up will be spaghetti squash fritters, but I decided to make something disgustingly healthy this morning to use some of it up - I cooked some quinoa, added some ricotta (left over from when Ed made the ravioli), some parmesan, and some boiled kale, with some salt and hot pepper. I'm not sure that deserves a recipe, adjust the seasonings and amounts as you see fit. It actually tasted pretty good, I liked the mix of textures in the dish. But I know better than trying to serve a pile of glop like that to Ed...

No comments: