Saturday, May 31, 2008

Margarita Cupcakes


I think I've found perfection in a cupcake. Margarita cupcakes. Just the name makes my mouth water. The cake part was delicious, I could eat them straight without frosting, but the frosting made the dessert. Oh my. I could eat this stuff with a spoon all day. Anyway, here is the recipe. I was inspired by this recipe, and basically used the same thing, with some additions, such as tequila.

Cupcakes
3C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 stick butter, room temperature
3/4C sugar
1/2C limeade concentrate
3 eggs
1/4C oil
1/3C tequila
1/2C yogurt
2 tbs triple sec

Glaze
1/4C limeade
1/2C icing sugar
1/4C tequila
2 tbs triple sec

Frosting
8oz butter
8oz cream cheese
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs limeade
2 tbs tequila
1 tbs triple sec
5C icing sugar
(I ended up adding a lot more tequila to the frosting, but I don't remember how much, so I recommend making the frosting, tasting, and adding more booze as needed)

Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, oil, booze, limeade, and yogurt. Add the flour, salt, and baking soda, already combined together, and stir it in. Bake in a lined cupcake tin at 350F for 15-20min, until golden brown on top. This recipe made 24 full cupcakes.

Once the cupcakes are done, allow them to cool completely. Using a chopstick or something else that can poke holes (like a fork?), liberally poke holes in the cake and drizzle the glaze over the cupcakes, about a tablespoon of glaze per cake, making sure that it gets down into the holes. Let that dry for 5-10 minutes, and you're ready to frost.

As noted above, I kept adding tequila to the frosting, and occasionally more sugar to balance it, and it turned out wonderfully. Just go by taste. Whip your butter and cream cheese together, and add the powdered sugar one cup at a time. Once the frosting is at a consistency that you like, add the booze and limeade. You'll need to add more sugar after this. I also added 4 drops of yellow food coloring and two drops of green. Frost the cupcakes however you want to, the frosting makes enough for 32 mountains of frosting on top of cupcakes, or it will go much further than that if you just spread it on instead of pipe it. Your call!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Wow, I wish I had one of these right now.