Friday, February 8, 2008

Irish Soda Bread


A while back, I got a bunch of dried cherries that turned out to be not sour at all. I don't particularly like these not-sour dried cherries, so I've been somewhat at a loss as to what to do with them. I think I have it figured out, though, because they were fantastic in this Irish Soda Bread, replacing raisins. This recipe is straight from the King Arthur Flour book.

2C white flour
1C whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4C sugar
2 tbs butter
1C dried cherries (or raisins)
1 egg
2C buttermilk

Mix your dry ingredients, and crumble the butter into the batter using your fingertips. Beat the egg, then add the buttermilk, and once those are incorporated, dump the wet ingredients into the dry. Stir just until combined (it was pretty dry), then plop that into a greased bread pan. Cook on 350 for 45 minutes, or until done. At least, I think it was 45 minutes. You might want to check it at 30.

No comments: