Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Plum kale salad

I'd been seeing this salad on a bunch of food blogs, and figured, hey, I have some ricotta right now, I have to try this.  Everyone else was raving about it, but it wasn't amazing.  I mean, it looked pretty, and the flavor was nice, but I had issues trying to figure out how to eat it.  The plum slices were too big, and the crispy kale bits turned un-crispy in the dressing, and the best part was definitely the rendered sopressata I'd put on top, which doesn't turn up in the original recipe.

This didn't get an Ed-rating, since I'd made it for lunch, but I doubt he would have liked the layer of ricotta on the bottom.  I'm not sure how I would have improved on this salad - I mean, the combination of flavors really was tasty.  Maybe smaller cubes of plum, and smaller pieces of crispy kale, and the ricotta mixed into it all, would make it easier to eat.  Definitely keep the sopressata.  Or bacon.  Cured pork product improves on any sweet + salty combination!  

Not sure I'll make it again, but I will remember that the plums complimented the savory kale nicely.  And the balsamic vinaigrette was good, too, I liked it mixed with the ricotta.  


No comments: