Monday, August 10, 2009

Cooked Endives


We've been cooking endives this way for a while, but I think we eat them too fast for me to take a picture of them. Basically, it takes a slightly bitter lettuce (if they're even lettuces) and slowly cooks them until they're sweet and salty and delicious. What I love is that although you don't add much oil, they taste incredibly rich. This is definitely one of my favorite ways to eat a vegetable.



We changed things up this time 'round and added some cheese, which was good, but I think I like these guys just the way they are, with a little salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Cut the endives in half, lengthwise. Put a little olive oil in a pan that has a fitting lid, and put the endives cut-side down in the pan. Sprinkle some kosher salt and pepper on top of the endive, turn the pan to medium-low, cover, and let it cook for 5-10 minutes. Check it occasionally, but it shouldn't be burning. Once the bottom is looking pretty golden, flip them over and cook for another five minutes or so. I don't know how Ed got the cheese on top, but I think he just left them cut-side down and put the cheese on top. He might have put them in the oven to get the cheese brown? That sounds like too much work though.

With or without the cheese, these little guys are GOOD! Don't hesitate to expand your endive horizons... they're good for more than salads!

No comments: