Friday, August 28, 2009

Blackberry cobbler cupcakes

It is definitely blackberry season right now in VT, and I came home from the wedding's festivities with lots of blackberries. I wanted to do something with them, because I don't actually like blackberries as much as other berries for just eating, and I decided on a blackberry cobbler. However, what with Boston being so hot, I didn't want my oven on for as long as a cobbler would take, so I turned it into cupcakes. I think this would have worked better as one cake, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do when its 90 degrees and humid.

I got the recipe from the Pioneer Woman, just googling for the first blackberry cobbler recipe that would come up. It turns out that her recipe is essentially a whitney cake without the eggs, so I didn't look at the recipe much once I'd figured that out. They're not the prettiest cupcakes in the world, but the taste more than made up for the looks. I highly recommend these guys.



Blackberry Cobbler Cupcakes
Makes 12

1C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1C sugar
1/4-1/2C sugar for sprinkling
1/2C (1 stick) butter
1C milk
~2C blackberries (I used fresh, but I'm sure frozen would work too)

Preheat the oven to 350F, and grease a muffin tin. I recommend those little muffin tin liners, because the cupcakes will be fairly gooey when they come out of the oven.

Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In a 2C measure, melt the butter in the microwave. Add the milk, and stir that around. Dump the wet into the dry, and fold until its combined. A couple lumps are just fine.

Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake molds, trying to not fill them too high - you need to fit blackberries in here too. Drop a bunch of blackberries into each cupcake, enough to bring the batter to the edge of the pan. Sprinkle sugar generously on top of each cupcake, and put them in the oven for about 30 minutes. Check them at 30 minutes, and if they're still too goopy, put them back in for another 5-10. Its hard to go wrong, just don't burn them. And then, try not to eat them all in one sitting, it'll make your stomach hurt.

No comments: