Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Banana chocolate chip muffins


This week seems to be a little about cleaning out my fridge. I found a banana that was fully brown, but, it was still firm. As in, not rotting. But there was no way I'd be taking that thing out of the fridge to eat it. So, banana bread! My justification for turning this bread into muffins this time is that I didn't want my oven on for that long, and muffins cook faster than a loaf of bread. Plus then they're just so perfect and bite-sized...

Anyway, I sort of made up the recipe, but it seems to have worked. The picture isn't really much to look at... I suppose walnuts would have been a nice addition, but I was feeling lazy. They're not very sweet muffins, due to me not having any sugar, and not wanting to use up ALL of my honey. But they are good, in a not-too-sweet sort of way.

Banana chocolate chip muffins
Made 11. You would get 10 if you fill the muffin tins more fully
2 eggs
1/4C yogurt
2 tbs oil
1 ripe banana
1/4C honey
1/4C white flour
1C white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4tsp salt
1/2C chocolate chips

Grease a muffin tin and preheat your oven to 400F. Mash up your banana with the yogurt, eggs, honey, and oil. Dump the flour on top of this, and the baking powder and salt on top of that. Lightly mix the flour with the salt and baking powder, without mixing it into the wet stuff. Once the dry is mostly combined, fold it into the wet. This makes a pretty sticky, thick batter. You could go with more yogurt or less flour to thin things out... but it works well enough as is. Fold the chocolate chips into the batter, and spoon it into the muffin tins. Once you put the muffins in the oven turn the temperature down to 350F. bake for 15-20 minutes.

No comments: