Monday, November 3, 2008

Pumpkin gnocchi



I like gnocchi, and I've had pretty good success with both potato and ricotta gnocchi, so I figured I'd use some of my pumpkin glop to make pumpkin gnocchi. Success! Most of the recipes I was looking up online were using cinnamon and nutmeg and stuff in the gnocchi, but I decided that I wanted something more savory, that didn't necessarily taste like pumpkin. So I went with cumin, coriander, and mustard seeds. The flavor was good, the consistency was good, but Ed thought that I cut mine too big. I admit, I might have been lazy. Given that he doesn't like gnocchi but he ate these, I'll call it a success. I had pan fried them with some sausage, onions, parsley, and a little cream after they were cooked, and it was a pretty tasty meal. Its also really quick to make the little things, you can do it in the time it takes to boil the water. As with any recipe on here, you can substitute all sorts of things. Except the pumpkin and the flour, that part sort of is there to stay. But spices are fluid 'round here...

Ingredients
1C pumpkin puree, canned or fresh
1-2C flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp dried sage
2 links sausage
2 tbs chopped fresh parsley
2 tbs heavy cream

Put a lot of water on to boil. You want a big pot, with lots of water in it, because these things will float when they're done cooking, and if you don't have enough water, you can't tell if they're floating or not.

Heat 2 tsp of oil in a sauce pan, and once its warm, add the seeds of various things. If you have ground cumin, you can skip this step and just add the powder to your batter. Once the seeds pop open (you'll be able to hear them go POP), add the oil to a big bowl. I left the popped seeds in the oil. Add the pumpkin and the salt. Add a cup of flour, mix it around. If its still too wet to form into a dough, add more flour, until you can sort of knead it, like bread.

Once your dough is together, roll it into long ropes on a floured surface, and then cut the ropes into small pieces. Add the pieces in batches to the big pot of boiling water, removing them when they float. You can eat these as they are now, they'd be good with a light sauce, or pesto, or just plain with parmesan cheese...

Alternatively, chop up the sausage links, and cook them in a fry pan. When they're done, add the chopped onion, and cook that until its translucent. Add maybe a half tablespoon of butter, and then the gnocchi, and let them sit in place for a minute or two to brown the bottom. Flip them over, let them sit for another minute or two, and then add the parsley, sage, cooked sausage, and cream. I like just enough cream to get things coated, but thats just me. You can add more. Salt and pepper to taste and then eat it up! (this recipe served two of us, no leftovers).

No comments: