Friday, October 31, 2008

Pumpkin Cupcakes



Its time for seasonal stuff. Linnea gave me a giant pumpkin, so I turned it into goo, and made cupcakes from that. I tried out King Arthur's pumpkin mini cakes, which were good, but I prefer to call them cupcakes. The recipe made 12 regular-sized cupcakes for me. Then I made it again and it made 32 mini cupcakes. A good recipe, moist, not too pumpkin-y, and just spicy enough to be quite yummy. The only change I made was that the second batch of cupcakes I only used 3/4C sugar instead of 1C, and I thought that was an improvement. They'd been a bit too sweet before. The frosting is an orange-dyed cream cheese frosting.



These were a big hit at work, but Ed wouldn't try one because it has pumpkin in it. Freakn biases... so no Ed rating.


For the swirl, I put a glob of orange frosting in a ziplock bag, then a glob of white, then orange, then white, and squeezed it out the cut corner. I don't have a pastry tip, so to get the ridges, I duct taped the corner I was planning to cut with 3-4 layers of duct tape. Then I cut out a star shape, and it worked well enough to get those pretty ridges.

No comments: